Tuesday, August 20, 2013

The Emotional Lives of Animals

http://orwellwasright.co.uk/2013/08/18/the-emotional-lives-of-animals-2/#more-14538

I take care of a small herd of cats, and feed a couple of ferals.   I can see this.  Some love each other to no end, some can't stand each other, yet they still don't get into all out fights, and two of them took the death of one real hard, and even started acting more like him.  Also, if you ever heard a cat mourn; it is one of the most heart rending sounds on the planet.  And they do have a language.  I hear the same sounds from them in various situations.  I know when they ask me for food, when they want out (some are very demanding), of the two that can't stand each other, one often insults the other in the same hostile toned meow, and there's so much more.  There is one, I can talk to her in English until I turn blue without anything happening, but if I make cat noises at her and send her the appropriate thoughts, she will react to what I want fast.  Cats are very telepathic.  They react to your real intentions after you develop a bond with them.  Hence I can't cut a fur ball out of the semi-wild long hair who is my friend.  She only lets me pet her if I'm not thinking of cutting the mats out of her hair.  It's kind of funny, though frustrating.

Some do it better than others, but being an 'animal whisperer' can be done by anyone.  You just have to spend time with the animal, and basically learn the language.  I do real well with cats and the rather feline natured 'coons, though the raccoons are wild, and there are currently none that come around.  Management disapproves of me feeding them since they seem to terrify the other tenants, but if one does come around on the balcony, I'm not going to chase it off.  I wonder what happened to the one that did come up for a few weeks.  I hope no one killed her.  She'd come in the kitchen, eat cat food, never mess anything up, and she'd sit on the rail and groom.  Boy, but she did make cleaning the litter box a chore.  Still, I miss her.  We called her 'Kelly'.  No, I never petted her.  She was wild, and I would have been asking for it, not in a good way.  I've written a little of this before, but hey.

If I'm given the time and resources, I can befriend anything.  Note I didn't say 'tame' anything.  There is a difference.  By the way, I would not call the cats I take care of 'tame'.  If they don't know you, they will not want anything to do with you.  One will accept you if you come into the flat, but the other will avoid you; and the one that will accept you inside the flat will not want anything to do with you if you haven't come in yet.  He trusts our judgement.  I trust his more.