Wednesday, June 27, 2012

If Slaughterhouses Had Glass Walls

http://www.wakingtimes.com/2012/06/25/if-slaughter-houses-had-glass-walls/

Now if only I had the willpower to give up the most abused animal of all.  The chicken.  I eat that once or twice a week.  I'm a sucker for Trader Joe's chicken sandwiches (wraps), Trader Joe's canned chicken which I share with the cats (Their favourite canned chicken), and when we go; there's a Sikh restaurant that I wish killed their chickens a la Jatka as opposed to Halal, but oh well.  Yes, I did slurp out the last tuna in the can that didn't go into the cat's bowl, but those dedicated carnivores will/can not become vegetarian, and I'm not going to throw away the last bit of what something died for that I cannot avoid purchasing.  And I have some non-Trader Joe's chicken soup, chicken and dumplings and chicken tamales for the homeless dude I feed a couple of times a week.  If I take him out, he can also choose whatever he wants from the menu.  I don't believe in forcing a diet on anyone, though I think all should be aware of what they support.

So I'm a hypocrite.  No excuse.  Could I become veggie all the way?  Yeah.  If I'm forced to kill my own.  I do like chickens alive.  I've lived with them,  They are NOT stupid.  If you treat them like treasured pets, they will respond to you, come running, and fly into your arms.  If I had chickens, I'd only use their eggs.  I might also get into my First Nations feather art again, but I don't so it's not a point worth going into any more.

Well, I'd euthanise the chickens if they were old and limping around.  That, or give the older chickens more leeway in where they go so the wildlife could have at 'em a bit easier.  Does that sound cruel?  I think it's more vicious to force something to live in pain where every new day is an ordeal.  Speaking from the perspective of a near death survivor.  After all, we are just walking carcasses.   This isn't us.  We just inhabit the bodies.  Kinda like temporary long term condos.