Monday, January 7, 2013

Down And Out In 'America's Finest City'

http://www.salem-news.com/articles/january052013/city-homeless-vp.php

When I was in my 20's and made a ton of money, I went to Frisco and Berkeley and would adopt a homeless person a couple of times a year.  Coffee, meal, conversation, and I'd leave 'em with enough money.  I gave one half the fare for a trip to Seattle, left another with enough for a room, and bought him some books, and the stuff I learned was amazing.  I refused to see any of them a second time despite the fact I ended up liking them quite a bit, but I refused to obligate myself to any more than I was already voluntarily obligated to.

Wouldn't do it now.  I can learn more stuff from the comfort of this chair, not to mention I'm not going back to Frisco for ANYTHING.  One unjustifiable encounter with a damn caged gerbil shooter that yanked me down an escalator is enough, thank you.  That worthless city ain't gettin' one more dime outta me.